Sunday, March 22, 2015

Background

According to Wikipedia, the Tenderloin (TL) "is a neighborhood in downtown San Francisco, California in the flatlands that encompasses about 50 square blocks. The Tenderloin is a high-crime neighborhood, particularly violent street crime such as aggravated assault. Seven of the top ten violent crime plots are adjacent plots in the Tenderloin. The first block of Turk Street, between Taylor and Mason, had one of the highest rates of violence and drug activity in San Francisco, according to a survey conducted by the Tenderloin Housing Clinic."

According to SF City Impact, the Tenderloin District is "the poorest district in the City of San Francisco, with 26% of its population living below poverty level. It is one square mile that is home to over 35,000 people and a population of 4-6,000 homeless."

According to my experiences this week, the Tenderloin is an area filled with broken people with broken souls who are searching for anything and everything to repair their brokenness.

My church in Nacogdoches, Grace Bible Church, has been taking a group of students and leaders to San Francisco City Impact for a mission trip the past four years during Spring Break. SF City Impact "exists to intervene on behalf of the people in the inner city of San Francisco." This year I felt called to join them. I didn't know exactly what the trip entailed when I signed up for it except for the fact that the people who had gone in the past came away from the trip on a spiritual high. I wanted that, and needed that.

Throughout the trip I kept a journal with all of my thoughts and observations. This blog is my journal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment